Sunday, October 17, 2010

I have no filter.

This elderly woman at church keeps calling Hudson "Houston" and I don't have the heart to correct her. I missed my opportunity when she did it again this week. Things like that I find so uncomfortable. Useless confrontation I would call it.

Not that I shy away from many fights. I used to. I would describe myself in high school as insecure and anxious. At some point in college I found my voice. I found myself. Since then I stand up for myself and the things that matter to me. It feels good, but it comes with a price. Largly, people think I am tougher than I really am.

My mom and my closest friend both told me that I am a private person within the past week. I find that ironic as I sit here penning my life for all of cyberspace. Yet, after some reflection, I suppose it is true. After all, I am in control of what you know by what I share. So, here is the truth. Lately, I have been pretty insecure and anxious. After making fast friends with my fertility doctor's nurse on Saturday morning, she gave me a one-liner that took my breath away: "God really loves to mess with timing for us control freaks." I think I kind of laughed out loud, mostly so I wouldn't cry. Good call, nurse whom I just met. I need that reminder that I am not in charge here.

As always, these thoughts are just a reflection of what I am thinking about Hudson these days. So much of his personality is becoming more visible. He is gregarious, sensitive, clever, but definitely NOT flexible and compliant. Sounds a lot like his parents. Boy! are we in for it.

So here is the picture you were looking for-- I know you don't frequent this space for the rhetoric. :-) I have been so busy taking pictures of other people's kids, this is a two week old picture of little man. He looks more like an Austin than a Houston anyway.

2 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

Sending you a HUG from Oklahoma, why, just because

Christine Joy said...

I hear you about you self analysis. I found my voice in my 40's and now that I'm in menopause it is at times a bit shrill. :) As for the sweet lady at church, I recommend that you use name tags and put Hudson's name on them and plaster them on his shirt. Do it until the lady notices the correct name. She'll eventually get the message and it will be resolved.