Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Breath of Heaven

I found this poem two months ago and it really spoke to me. It will be my mantra for today.

Every now and then,
when the world sits just right
a gentle breath of heaven
fills my soul with delight,
and I sigh,

as the sun brings its morning,
its gift of warmth to chase the chill
from the crook of night's arms
arising o'er that far hill,
and I know,

heaven smiles,
and I smile, too,
for life can be hard
while dreams are few.

Yet, every now and then,
when the world sits just right
that gentle breath of heaven
fills my soul with delight,
and I see,

a turning of a leaf
dancing in the autumn's sun,
and a brilliant shade of crimson
glowing when the day is done,
and I sigh,

as the rose that stands alone,
thrives where no others thrive.
A rare bouquet of one
still strong, still alive,
and I know,

that even in the shadows
heaven catches, unaware,
those blinded by visions
of hatred and despair,
and I see,

a promise of tomorrow
in that wind around the bend,
as it carries a dream of hope
with no hate or pain to tend,
and I pray,

as every now and then,
when this world sits just right
that gentle breath of heaven
fills my soul with delight,
and I smile...I smile.


~Hazelmarie ‘Mattie’ Elliott