Hudson woke up Saturday morning at 5 a.m. with a low grade fever. His self-prescribed remedy was easy: "Hold me, Mama." And so I did. For the past couple of weeks I have been conscious of how easy one child can be. Those long hours of Saturday were no exception. Here was my little person requiring my full attention and I had nothing to distract me from giving it to him. Several friends have had their second child in the past couple of months; my observations and discussions with them have made it clear how good I have it...for now.
With one kid, we are never outnumbered. Most importantly, I, when alone, am never outnumbered. I can grocery shop and still have a cart space for putting actual food in--you know, important stuff like that! A (very unhelpful and averse) co-worker of Josh's shared this little nugget of wisdom: Having one kid is like having one; having two kids is like having twenty. Aw, thanks, as if we weren't already trying to wrap our brains around our new situation.
So, on Saturday during our massive amount of couch sitting and cuddling, I thought I would share my recent reflections and contemplation with Josh who was literally sick with worry over what this random day-long fever meant.
Me: You realize how easy one kid is, don't you?
Josh: This is easy?!?!?
*Sigh*
While I am quite content with how capable I am with handling most of life now, I have always been a better doer than dreamer. Come on, Mister Man! We are anxious to meet thee and get this party started.
Monday, July 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just came back from running ONE errand with three kiddos. One errand turned into two errands!! The last errand was a trip to the grocery store for ONE item. That trip to the store lasted 30+ minutes and cost me about $40. Instead of taking 45-minutes (travel time and errand running) - it took me over 2 hours!!
However, even if it sounds like I'm complaining - I wouldn't trade my kiddos for nothing. However, I would lend them to others for just a little while - you know like when I need to run a few errands!! :) :)
Come on baby Harris!! A lot of people are waiting on your arrival!! :) :)
Post a Comment