Monday, October 10, 2011

Them Green Things

Out of nowhere Hudson has now taken an aversion to most vegetables. It started off pretty benign; he would not eat the diced tomatoes in his Italian skillet. I did not take too much offense, as I am not a tomato fan myself. Then it was broccoli, which I agree can smell pretty terrible.  But now at just about every meal Hudson says, "I don't like those __(insert color of the vegetable)__ things, Mama". Of course, he has not tasted the item, but has created a staunch repulsion for it. Last night he did not want to eat the black things on the pizza (they were mushrooms). Then he ate one accidentally and said, "Ooh that was gooood." Little booger.
Like any normal three year old, not eating something also includes two additional caveats. First, the previously said vegetable can not rest calmly on the corner of his plate. It must be on the table or, better, on MY plate. So, it is common for me to have a little pile of onions on the side of my plate from our dinner casserole at the end of a meal. Sounding way too much like my Granny I typically insist he take "just one bite" which leads me to his nightly theatrical production of "Watch me gag myself". This is all-together horrific and makes me question whether or not I really care if he tries the vegetable or not.

So, unless you are serving up peas, green beans, or edamame, think twice about putting your veggie of the day on Hudson's plate. And if you insist he try those carrots or cauliflower, I hope you have a strong stomach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds SO much like his mother. Vividly remember the gag reflex over your taking 'just one bite' of green beans!

Sarah said...

This is why I want to know if feeding them Garden Delight pasta and V8 Fusion counts as feeding vegetables.