Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crying it out

There are no pictures today. I have lost my hard drive and I am doing my best not to continually cry about it. According to "John" at Dell tech support, it has burned up. I have lost all pictures taken since our Kentucky vacation. (I lost those too, but I did make prints.) I am devastated. The only thing I have backed up is photography jobs, but nothing of Hudson's first Thanksgiving or Christmas. Thankfully I have posted some pictures here, so we will have those to remember the days by. Funny how I suddenly am over my dislike of pictures of myself and would do just about anything to see one of the pictures of the three of us on Christmas--no matter how fat my face looked. Funny how I suddenly am appreciative for this ghetto school laptop that, despite the fact it shuts down every 15 minutes, is my connection to cyberspace.
Crying is quite the theme of our house these days as we have started a very assertive bedtime routine. While it is possibly the most horrible parenting experience to date, it is time for Hudson to learn to fall asleep on his own. Each night after we take a bath, put on some lavender lotion, read a story, and rock to one song on our lullaby CD, he is put into his crib. Crying has lasted from 45 minutes to less than 4.
I admit, I like being a part of the going to sleep equation. I love rocking him. It could be my favorite thing to do...ever. But I know that if he doesn't learn this skill, we are in for a long tenure of toddler years. So, I will work through this in hopes that he can learn to calm himself to sleep in the middle of the night, which is still a problem --every night--and my real goal. And even though I am going through the motions, I will always think Dr. Ferber was a big meanie when he came up with the crying it out method.
So, anyway, loads of tears here. And those don't usually make for good pictures anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather-

I promise...Hudson will learn to peacefully go to sleep on his own. We went through this with Tanner and it broke my heart. On a positive note...he now falls asleep within 10 minutes of being put down. He plays for a few and quietly drifts off to sleep. It's a blessing from God!!! I know you are having a hard time right now, but it will pass.

Molly

sportsmom1017 said...

Oh no! I am so sorry about the pictures. I guess that is the downfall of digital...

I didn't stop rocking Sarah to sleep until she was almost 2 because she (ok and I) liked it so much. Matt on the other hand, wanted to be put to bed and go to sleep on his own. Neither way seemed to affect how they slept as toddlers (I did let them cry it out during the night). So, tonight, since you have had such a bad day, go ahead and rock Hudson. Trust me, the time passes too quickly and you can't get it back.

Hope to see you tonight!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Keep it up. Once he can cry out "mama" you will never be able to walk away.

Kris said...

So sorry to hear about your pictures! It's good you put some of your favorites on the blog at least. Is there no hope for your hard drive?
As for Hudson's tears...yes, it was never easy to listen to Leah cry herself to sleep, but I think I appreciate her quietly drifting off to sleep now even more. Something to look forward to anyway.
Maybe you could put the tree back up and take a picture of the three of you ;) haha, or just take a picture of the three of you, and photoshop it onto next years tree! wow, I'm just full of terrible ideas. Just trying to make you smile I guess...

Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry that you are having a rough month!

This "rough" time will pass before you know it!!

Christina