I hate to even write this post because I know that the road to the first tooth might be very long. However, I wouldn’t be keeping an accurate baby book if I didn’t acknowledge for the record, I think Hudson is teething.But today was about my teeth; I had to go to the dentist. I was a bit nervous taking little man with because he doesn’t love sitting in his car seat if not in a moving car thundering down the road. (Grandmas please read: driving safely and slowly) However, I should have known that Hudson would be happy to flirt with every dental hygienist, receptionist, and assistant in the place. He was quite content with all the attention he was getting until my teeth were cleaned. (Nothing like having a bunch of questions thrown at you, the Mama, when you have a metal scraping hook in your mouth!)
Waiting for the dentist to come in and check the hygienist’s work, he got bored.
So, I took him out of his seat, and we happily played “Shake, Rattle, and Roll” and “Pony Boy”. Hudson even thought my paper bib was quite fetching, although he did seem perplexed as to why Mama was wearing the bib and not him. When Dr. Thomas came in Hudson (picture this) laid on his belly on my chest as I am on my back with my mouth hanging open. Hudson reclined there, propped up on his elbows just checking everything out for ten minutes. Dr. Thomas said he looks like a natural and should consider dental school. Conveniently as well, that little paper bib saved my shirt from a mound of drool.
The doctor said that the first tooth can take up to two months to break through the surface, so I should be patient. In the meantime, here are the “12 Signs of Teething in Babies” which Hudson shows evidence of ten of currently.
1. Drooling. (Like it is his job)
2. Chin or face rash.
3. Coughing. (Although he does this to get our attention now all the time.)
4. Biting/chewing. (Loves his new license to drool keyset)
5. Pain.
6. Irritability.
7. Refusal to feed. Um, no to this one. My son does not miss a meal.
8. Diarrhea. (Good times)
9. Low-grade fever.
10. Wakefulness. (Stop by at midnight if you like to rock a baby back to sleep)
11. Ear pulling; cheek rubbing.
12. Tooth emerging from gum. No to this one too. Otherwise this post would have been entitled, “Hudson has a tooth!”
Well, that is the story of how Hudson became a dentist or marries the dental hygientist, whichever. In the meantime, I need to look into stealing some of those paper bibs to protect all my clothes.

4 comments:
Heather-
You will definitely know when Hudson's first tooth breaks. I remember Tanner woke up screaming in the middle of the night and never stopped until that next afternoon. Once the first one pops up, the rest are a piece of cake. Tanner now has 6 teeth and only 1 of the 5 caused him, and myself, pain. Tanner never really cared for the frozen teething rings. Just make sure you have plenty of Tylenol and you'll be good to go. Best of luck!
Molly
I think Leah was opposite of Tanner...I didn't even know she was teething for the first two teeth she got (at 7 months). However, she has been having a very hard time with the 4 that are coming in on top, the first one started almost a month ago, and the 4th is almost in. SOON hopefully!
That is great that he behaved so well at the dentist...I think we sometimes underestimate them. However, my hygenist told me I should have brought her to my last cleaning-Leah was 13 months and into EVERYTHING. I told her this and she said "Oh, we can just shut the door"
right. I take note of the uncovered outlet, mass of cords, window blinds, chair buttons, unlocked cabnets....and me unable to chase or talk? I don't think so.
Yea, Hudson! Roddick has two tooth indentations on the lower gums. We're waiting for them to pop through anytime!
Hey there, glad to see Hudson hasn't stopped the drool machine! Spencer doesn't have any major signs yet, his drooling has actually improved some. Love the visual of the dentist!
Hope you are having fun with your soon to be 5 month old, can you believe it?
Misty
Post a Comment