Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fingers, Eyes, and Nose

Continued energy has been placed on figuring out who Hudson looks like. Whose eyes does he have? Will he have your nose? Will he be tall like his daddy or short like his mama? All these are fun ways to spend time, but no one pays attention to my favorite body part. I have always liked hands and feet. Despite the fact that my brothers called me finger foot, I like my feet. Long toes look better than stubby ones. Plus you can pinch with 'em. I love taking pictures of hands. I can distinctly remember the hands of my great-grandma Meem whom I haven't seen in over twenty years. I can close my eyes and see her slender fingers and bony hand. Vividly, too, I can see the hands of my grandpa for whom Hudson was named. His hands were so distinctly...him with age spots and bruises. What a comfort the sight of those hands could bring.
Hudson likes hands lately. His. Mine. Anyone's. Hold his hands with yours and he is likely to bring them straight to his mouth for a taste. He will happily chew a finger of mine off if I would let him. It gives his hands, which he also chews on, a break. I swear the other day I had taught him to "high-five" me. On a recent night when we co-slept, he put his hand outside of mine as it rested on the side of his face. Precious little paws. Chubby as the rest of him with little indentations for each knuckle.

With nails that grow constantly! I have to cut those little Freddy Krueger nails at least twice a week and sometimes I think I only sharpen them by trimming them up. Usually the next day, typically on a Sunday morning, he will have some new scratch from the bridge of his nose to his chin...just in time for all the old ladies to look sorrowfully at the red line and disapprovingly at me. Oh well. You try and cut those rice paper thin pieces of steel and not take a finger off.

Here is a picture my father in law sent me. It showcases my little drooler, yes his shirt is that wet from slobber, and his grandpa's hands. Of course, I like it.

Finally, two current events notices I hope to have recorded here. First, how grateful I am that everyone was saved US Airways flight 1549 and that the words "Miracle on the Hudson" have filled headlines of newspapers around the world. What an amazing gift everyone survived and we don't have to have a major tragedy associated with my little man's name. Secondly, you may be an intriguing speaker, Mr. President Obama, but my son fell asleep as soon as your inaugural address started. Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is so handsome. I love that picture of him too! ~Colbey