Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset

I have an enhanced respect for single mothers. The past three days alone have been physically and emotionally draining. There is something about being twenty-four hours a day “on” with an infant that can wear you down. From the minute he first wakes until I finally get him to sleep, I don’t have any time to myself. I guess I don't feel bad that I “broke down” today and put in thirty blissful minutes of a Baby Einstein video so I could go to the bathroom and throw in a load of laundry all-by-myself.
Of course, he isn’t a bad face to wake up to. Here he is all decked out in the cutest monkey pajamas this morning. I have been intentionally scheduling playdates each of the past three days so 1. I have some adult conversation in my day with live, three dimensional people and 2. Hudson doesn’t just have to be entertained by my antics all day. So, earlier I arose to the babbling boy wake up alarm at 7:30 a.m. ---with a gorgeous sunrise --- and was off running.


As the day starts to wind down and the time has past when Josh normally gets home, Hudson and I both start to fall apart. He might not wear it as well as I do though. First, there is more all-purpose whiny jabbering. Then, the silly songs of “Wheels on the Bus” and “Pony Boy” that usual provide a slight smile instead cause his expression towards me to be one of “…You still? Where is the funny guy?...”
Next as we try and eat and we start rubbing our eyes and face out of fatigue. This causes food to get really ground into my eyebrows and ears. It is quite cute. So with the sunset we rush off to the bath and then to bed where we make it extra hard on Mama because he knows, I-am-alone.

Even now as he was crying (bad dream, took a little rocking)it makes me weary to know I single-handedly am the only one who can provide relief. So, excuse the abundance of dishes in the sink and growing piles of laundry, I need to just sit and relax for a minute.
Ha. Oh goofy me! I just realized that my relaxing is talking more about him. Cooing and sighing over pictures of someone I have looked at all day. Jeez. Mothers are silly creatures. No matter how tired we are, we know what we have to look forward to in the morning.


5 comments:

sportsmom1017 said...

You better put his mattress at a lower level - before you know it he will be pulling up and then, over the edge!

He is too cute!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would like for you to post a picture of what Mamma looked like at the end of the day also!

Kris said...

I hear ya. Dwight was gone a lot last summer. It was rough. We would finally get into our own little routines...and then Dwight would get back...which was great of course, but then it is a whole different routine.
With just the two of us, I would just kind of be in this 'survival mode'. Whatever I could do to stay on top of things...'things' being her care and my mood ;)

theharrisgirl said...

Last night I finally went to bed around midnight (after folding five loads of laundry) and Hudson immediately woke up. He was up until 2:17 a.m. I kept thinking, "HE WILL BE CUTER IN THE MORNING!!!!"