Sunday, June 19, 2011

A ride down memory lane

Josh and I grew up in a wonderful small town. (Editor's note: Past tense. Frankly the place is pretty shady now.) Among its assets was a historical carousel at one of the parks, which also had a small train ride. I can vividly remember riding on both when I was little. I was really looking forward to the day when we could take Hudson back to this park and have him participate in some of the fun activities of our childhood. Finally our opportunity came last weekend.



The carousel is now a bonafide national historical landmark as all of the 43 animals have been preserved and put into a nicer climate controlled facility. (Read: there are a lot of new rules when riding it now!) To add some additional nostalgia, Josh worked on the construction of the carousel’s new home as part of a summer job in college. This was my first visit back to the see the facility in nothing short of 26 years.

Thankfully the premise is still the same: enjoy the calliope merry-go-round music, catch the brass ring, and get yourself a free ride. Hudson loved it. (His pregnant hormone laden mama cried.)

The train ride is also exactly the same. Literally, I do not think they have oiled the wheels of the train since my last ride circa 1985. For 75 cents both of these joys entertained Little Man many times over. I guess the old town isn't so crummy after all.



Dada grabs the brass ring.



Hudson gets "green moneys" a.k.a. a free ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have thought you were talking about my hometown minus the train ride.
CV