Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Amore!

I love books. Real ones, not electronic versions. There will be no Kindle in this house. And I admit I was attracted to the fact that Josh was also a reader. So far, Hudson likes to be read to and to look at books on his own. He has an enormous collection of stories including several books (not just the same titles) that were Josh's and mine when were his age. Of course, there are favorites, but what I have noticed -and isn't it always this way?-- Hudson favors some books that we just loathe.

Example: Poconos. Well, that is what Little Man calls it (pronounced like the area of Pennsylvania). You might know it better by its real title: Pinocchio. I detest this story frankly because it creeps me out so. I mean an old man creates a wooden boy. Um...ew.    Josh hates the version of the tale that we have. Anyway, Hudson was picking it every single night before bed (Dada reading time) and during the day (Mama reading time). So, we did what any set of loving parents would do: we hid it. Pocono has went on vacation and he can come back after a short stint at Grandma's or the back of the closet. Whichever...

Of course Elmo books were popular there for awhile. Those drive me batty too. Why does Elmo always refer to himself in first-person? Elmo would like you to count the butterflies. Elmo says good job. Ugh.

Funny (to me) that when you read books from our childhood there are a number of things that don't exist anymore : Charlie Brown has to bang the chalk filled erasers (what is that?) Or terms like "gayily" and "fondly" are found in about every book we have written in the 1950-60s. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Last week I bought myself a gift. Brazen, I know, but I am pregnant and that is my only excuse. It is a this. A bound copy (400+ pages) of all of the blogs thus far. I don't have them saved anywhere else. If this little dialogue is to be the boys' baby book, I need to have a copy.

 
So, Hudson is finally home from his jaunt across the state. He came home with my favorite thing he ever made. It is a book, of course, detailing his stay at Grandma & Bapa's house. It has pictures and everything. I am so happy to have him home, but the writing provided a good lesson for me. Not only is it important that he spend time with away from us, he needs to receive love and care from all of his family. This is the way he will understand different ways to show love and to be loved.  That must have been the moral of the story!
Oh--that and Grandma never told him "NO!" When I said it this morning he looked super confused.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Glad your 'lil man is home!! :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad Hudson is home! I will say, I love my Kindle!

Lori