After years of reading about all the dos and don'ts of my own eating habits, I have a new diet to contend with. Little Hudson's feedings are the biggest event this household has seen since his arrival. At first I was so anxious to feed him I would just grab him, a spoon, and some pureed whatever. Now, I have realized that it is helpful to have the following: his Bumpo seat, a bib (see below), a wet washcloth, a dry towel, a spoon, the food, the baby, and my high school safety goggles (the kid tries to whistle while eating, I swear). Other things I have learned recently:
Making his food is fun, but boring. Sure I can bake a vegetable and puree up. I don't exactly know how much cost savings I am getting at this point, so I am not sure it is worth it. I think I will continue as it is convenient. I am sure I will do more as he gets older.
News flash: These food stain! His clothes. My clothes. The tablecloth. The carpet. I suddenly miss just formula spit up.
The whole bath incident. I don't want to discuss it further. Baths might not come as frequently now.
The list of foods he shouldn't have is also quite extensive and makes me nervous. What if I leave him with someone who gives him honey? I haven't had time to google botulism, but I know I don't want him diagnosed with it. Most of the food reactions are not just temporary stomache ache; they are full blown illnesses. So for the next six months he can't have any nuts, seafood, honey, strawberries, egg whites, cow's milk, and I am sure other foods that readers of this blog fed their kids. Sorry, folks, I am not going to do it. Additionally, what about all the foods he can have that must be cut a certain way so he doesn't choke. Do we really need more stress?
Some are way more anxious for him to try foods than they should be. He is five months. He doesn't need steak or cake. Squash and cereal is a fine breakfast. Let us wait until he gets teeth before trying corn on the cob.
2 comments:
The bumbo works for everything....especially feedings. You will end up throwing away several bibs and/or shirts when it's all said and done. Just make sure you keep lots of Spray n' Wash by the washer. Once Hudson gets a bit older, the lists of foods he CAN'T have gets shorter and shorter. At Tanner's 7 or 8 month check his pediatrician told me that he can basically have anything,at least in moderation, as long as it's not NUTS or nut based. Currently at 11 months, he is a garbage disposal. I find that having a pair of scissors handy to cut up his food it best.
Are we still having dinner tomorrow night?
Molly
yes. the food is stressful. So much more to consider than just the WHEN. And yes, many of Leah's clothes from that time period are stained. Now I am much better with the Spraynwash too!
I mainly went with store bought baby food. I guess everyone has their areas they are willing to save in. I decided to use some of my diaper savings on baby food.
And i still agree about he desserts. If she dosen't know what she is missing, is she really missing it? unfortunately it is very hard to keep g'pas and aunts from sneaking her cookie bites...
Post a Comment