I have been thinking of this post for at least a week. I have been crying during the 4 a.m. feedings for the same length of time. Sitting in Hudson's beautiful nursery, I miss the purple walls. And Grey's Anatomy calendar. And pictures of prom and homecoming. And the smell of her Ukrainian soap. And her Eastern European voice singing the hits of Queen or the Village People.
I miss my Mariya.
A year ago this week Mariya moved in with us. Like Hudson, she was a surprise. Like Hudson, she enhanced my life in ways I didn't know was needed. Like Hudson, she caused my heart to grow.
She was so fantastic to have around during the first trimester. She would happily nap with me on the couch as needed (provided America's Next Top Model was on...and it always was) or cook the meat for dinner when I couldn't tolerate the smell. During the third trimester she used my big belly as the canvas for her art and would lay on the couch with her hand on my stomach in hopes of catching a kick or a hiccup.
She was so fantastic to have around during the first trimester. She would happily nap with me on the couch as needed (provided America's Next Top Model was on...and it always was) or cook the meat for dinner when I couldn't tolerate the smell. During the third trimester she used my big belly as the canvas for her art and would lay on the couch with her hand on my stomach in hopes of catching a kick or a hiccup.
I can't wait to take Hudson to "Chicken Man" to get free refills and tell him all about the fabulous girl who was our first kid.
I miss you, Mariya.
"So just you know."
2 comments:
oh- why were you posting at 4am! It's funny you should mention Mariya - we were just talking about her last night. Amber's boyfriend went to the vb game with us and he had to help a new exchange student yesterday, who spoke English with a hard accent to undertand. I was telling him about Mariya and how by the time she left, we could all understand her and she could understand us. Have fun in Iowa!
Heather, I love you. I love your blog. Even if everyone else quits reading it (unlikely), please keep doing it for me. You are such a talented writer and even if it weren't about our experiences with Hudson, I would still find it fascinating. It is so nice to be able to see a little bit of home when I can't be there.
I miss Mariya, too. I miss hearing "Slog Bog!" (quickly followed by a punch in the arm)while driving down the highway. I miss her calling me "Joshie". I miss her late pluralization of words: "Joshie, can I have some chip........(5 second pause)...sss?" I miss having campfires where we burned "vood". I miss questions like, "Who is Dr. Pepper?"
Post a Comment