Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mother of Invention



I consider it to be a very American emotion to see products among us and secretly become insanely ticked off that we personally did not invent them.
I am not talking about light bulbs and baby formula here. I am talking about the smaller, simple everyday items which we see and think, "I could have invented that." There is nothing like having a child to introduce you to a whole new world of products which you know you could have created. Products that would be paying for your early retirement and endless Caribbean vacation(s).
For example, I was told it would be a rite of passage that while attempting to trim my baby's fingernails, I would make him bleed. All parents do this. (Interestingly, most admit it too.) However, there is now a new product for trimming your child's nails that is basically a small pair of scissors with a LED light built in. They are awesome. Hudson has yet to bleed on my account. How cool is that? I could have thought of that. Or my beloved Hooter Hider. A simple piece of fashionable fabric which is worn to...hide the hooters during feedings. Created by a mother, this item sells for over $30 on Amazon.com. Something tells me she is not worried about how high gas prices will go this winter.
I don't mind sharing the product I wish to engineer. Let me provide you with the illustration of the following pair of pictures.

How is it we don’t have a method of maintaining the pacifier in the mouth? How many hours will I have logged reinserting this piece of plastic into my son’s face by the time he is two? Yes, I am married to an engineer; however, most of Josh’s inventions involve welding metal or duct tape. If I could somehow combine the hours spent from “Paci-down Meltdown”, I suspect I would be able to invent something remarkable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe.....you could use the material that was used for my "head gear" when I had braces. Or use the material that very young children or very old people use to keep their glasses on their face.

You know.....the "stretchie" "band" type of material.

Just a thought!!!!