Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jeans that zip

The time has come to pack up the maternity clothes and move back into jeans that zip up and have functioning buttons. It saddens me too. Not just because I have an affection for pants with elasto waists, because I do, but mostly because it feels like the I am putting some real finality on my pregnancy days.
I liked being pregnant.
Yes, it was difficult. Those last couple weeks without sleep felt impossible (but now I know they were just preparation for what was to come). I did miss my sushi and feta cheese. And let’s face it, forty weeks without wine for anyone with Hughes blood is a daunting task.

But, the joys...
Feeling the baby kick in the middle of mindless meetings
Endless number of doors opened for me by total strangers
Feeling justified to just to relax
Attention from total strangers
Comfortable clothes


Being able to be a parent is an amazing gift. Packing it all away just makes me blue...the tears falling on my keyboard might be an indication of post-partum. That or my pants are still too tight.

P.S. Since this is Hudson’s baby book--of sorts—I should tell you he is now wearing bigger pants, well diapers, that is. Hudson has moved out of NB and into “1”s. Since he is on the low end of the weight range they go up to nearly his nipples and he looks like a senior citizen in Depends more than a one month old. Diapers (at the cheapest retailer) are 17 cents each. We will spend approximately $500 on them this year alone. Okay I am crying again.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Josh told me about your blog today...I love it :)
I can totally relate to it and would like to leave you about a dozen comments, but instead I will just say that it looks like you are both doing a fabulous job, and I say, cuddle as much as you want ;)